Blog > Eat
June 08, 2021
OVEN-FRIED PICKLES | By Hubert Cormier
This is THE recipe for dill pickle lovers! This version of fried pickles is baked, not fried, to significantly reduce the amount of fat without compromising taste and crispiness. Fried pickles that are perfect for a potluck or watching the game on TV!
Servings: 6 to 8
Preparation time: 15 min
Baking time: 20 min
✔ 2 eggs
✔ 375 ml (1 ½ cups) Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
✔ 15 ml (1 tbsp.) garlic powder
✔ 15 ml (1 tbsp.) onion powder
✔ 5 ml (1 tsp.) cayenne pepper
✔ 1 jar (500 ml) dill pickles (gherkins), drained and pat dry
Yogurt herb dipping sauce
✔ 125 ml (½ cup) plain Greek yogurt
✔ 45 ml (3 tbsp.) fresh parsley, finely chopped
✔ 30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh dill, finely chopped
✔ 30 ml (2 tbsp.) green onion, finely chopped
✔ 1 pinch sugar
✔ Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 220 °C (425 °F). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
2. In a deep dish, whisk the eggs. In another dish, mix the Panko and spices.
3. Dip the pickles in the eggs, then in the Panko and spice blend. Repeat these steps another time (and even a third time if you want!).
4. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet. Using an oil sprayer, lightly spray breaded pickles.
5. Cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until pickles are nice and golden. Turn the pickles over halfway through cooking.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the yogurt dipping sauce.
HUBERT'S TIP ☝️
Using an oil sprayer will help the pickles get a nice golden colour as they cook. You could also brush some vegetable oil onto the pickles instead.
Follow Hubert Cormier on social media 💬