Blog > Eat
April 15, 2019
HEALTHY CARROT CUPCAKES | By Hubert Cormier
🥕 HEALTHY CARROT CUPCAKES
If you love carrot cake just as much as I do and are looking for a recipe that is lighter and healthier than the classic, very rich and very sweet recipe, here’s one you will like! In addition to having the same great taste as the original version, this improved version contains fibre, is rich in protein, and is low in fat. These cupcakes will be delightful for your Easter celebrations! Double the recipe, as these little treats will be all the rage!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
✔ 500 ml (2 cups) whole wheat flour
✔ 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp.) baking powder
✔ 2.5 ml (½ tsp.) baking soda
✔ 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp.) cinnamon
✔ 2.5 ml (½ tsp.) nutmeg
✔ Pinch of salt
✔ 15 ml (1 tbsp.) coconut oil
✔ 2 egg whites
✔ 10 ml (2 tsp.) vanilla extract
✔ 60 ml (¼ cup) maple syrup
✔ 125 ml (½ cup) 2% M.F. Greek-style yogurt
✔ 180 ml (¾ cup) 1% milk
✔ 500 ml (2 cups) grated carrots
✔ 125 ml (½ cup) chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease the cups of a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, egg whites, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Stir in yogurt and mix well.
4. Add the milk and flour mixture alternately, stirring until mixture is thoroughly blended. Stir in the grated carrots.
5. Scoop the batter into the cups of the muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
6. Let cool and remove from pan.
"If desired, serve the carrot cupcakes with icing made from 250 ml (1 cup) of vanilla skyr, 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of powdered sugar, and 5 ml (1 tsp.) of vanilla extract. Simply mix these three ingredients and spread the icing on the cooled cupcakes."