Blog > Eat
November 25, 2021
GENERAL TAO TOFU | By Hubert Cormier
Blocks of tofu are a must-have on any grocery list. All kinds of sauces can be used with this ultra-versatile food. Tofu can be stored in the refrigerator for a longer period of time than animal protein and plus, it’s a lot cheaper!
Hey! Did you know that you can freeze tofu blocks? Freezing actually allows them to absorb twice the amount of sauce or marinade. No more tasteless, bland tofu!
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 15 min
✔ ½ cup (125 ml) water
✔ ¼ cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
✔ ⅓ cup (75 ml) brown sugar
✔ 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
✔ 3 tbsp (45 ml) ketchup
✔ 1 tsp (5 ml) toasted sesame oil
✔ 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
✔ 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
✔ 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh ginger, grated
✔ Hot sauce, to taste
General Tao Tofu
✔ 454 g block of firm tofu, broken into coarse pieces using fingers
✔ ⅓ cup (75 ml) cornstarch
✔ Salt and pepper to taste
✔ 3 tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
✔ Green onions, to taste
✔ Sesame seeds, to taste
1. In a saucepan, bring the sauce to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the sauce thickens. Keep warm.
2. Place the cornstarch in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Coat the tofu pieces with the cornstarch mixture.
3. In a large non-stick skillet, gently fry the tofu pieces in the canola oil. Blot lightly with paper towels. For best results, fry half the tofu at a time.
4. Once all the tofu is crispy, add it to the General Tao sauce.
5. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately with jasmine rice or rice vermicelli and sautéed vegetables.
HUBERT'S TIP ☝️
The recipe’s second step is key to getting really crispy tofu. Coating in cornstarch (or all-purpose flour) also works well with any animal protein like chicken or beef.
Follow Hubert Cormier on social media 💬